Fairt forest

Powered By Blogger

Thursday, September 30, 2010

CANNING, CANNING, AND YES MORE CANNING

I have Not had 2 seconds to update any of my blogs lately. I'm so behind in everything that it is time to play catch-up. Which to be honest, is not an easy task.

I have to say that since school started and my time tending my nephew and canning and canning, has put my house and exercise goals on hold. Well not really hold, because I do still get some things in my house cleaned and I do fit in some exercising a few days a week. I just would like to do more... I guess canning can be a goal, since it's a lot of work and having that food on my shelves is a sense of accomplishmet. So I will go and say for the last month my goal has been getting the canning done.

I have a Love/Hate relationship with canning! I hate the work, but love the results. It's so great to look at your shelves and know that if something happens, you'll survive. (at least for awhile, anyway) In the past I have let my hubby and his dad do the canning. I would step in occasionally to feel like I'm doing something useful, but for the most part I would observe. I would do somethings with my mom, but I only have canned one thing by myself since I've been married. (which was peach butter)
This year though I have been a "Stay at Home Mom" and have decided I need to try and be more domestic and do some of it myself. So in July I did Garlic pickles. I have been wanting to do pickles for years and if I would have known how easy it was, I would have been doing it. They are so tasty and delicious. Me and the kids can open a jar and scarf it down in about 5 min. Most of what I've done has been in the last month. We have done a double batch of salsa, 179 pints of frozen corn (me and the sister-in-laws), Peaches, Raspberry jam, raspberry jalepeno jam and raspberry syrup. We actually do more than this even, but we still have a lot of the other stuff. I guess I'm just proud of myself for trying some new things this year and getting it done.. I did the peaches and the RJ jam by myself and I have helped other people can somethings. The corn we had to pick ourselves, which I ended up doing 3 times with other people, even though I didn't need any. The raspberries were a pick your own thing as well, and every time you went it was a couple hour project. That was only twice, but it takes a long time to feel up a bowl.
So there you go! This is why everything else has been put at the bottom of my lists. To be honest this is the 1st year I have actually enjoyed doing the canning. Depending on what you're canning, it can kind of be relaxing. Everything is yummy and will be so nice to pull out through out the winter/spring months. I'm done canning for awhile unless I do more RJ Jam, but I'm done for now. The holidays are coming on quickly, so it's time to get some organization done for the shopping and decorating.
There will be no goals set this week, since it's almost over. But I will shoot for next week to get my life and home back on track. I hope you have stuck with your goals better than me! If you haven't that's okay to, get back doing it when you can....

No comments:

Post a Comment